Evaluation kit for resolver-to-digital conversion using less expensive, programmable C2000 Piccolo™ MCUs with on-chip ADC and software solution
Houston (April 10, 2014) – Today Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) announces its first programmable microcontroller (MCU) solution to handle resolver-to-digital decoding: The C2000™ MCU Resolver Kit. Because the resolver is an analog, rotary electrical transformer, it has historically required an application-specific circuit — which can be costly and space consuming – to convert to digital signals for use by a digital processor in a control system. However, TI’s new C2000 MCU Resolver Kit shows designers how to implement the digital conversion using software on programmable C2000 MCUs, saving system cost and space in a variety of industrial applications, including robotics, servo drives, automation, avionics and transportation.
Features and benefits of the C2000 MCU Resolver Kit:
· Replaces expensive, dedicated resolver-to-digital chipsets with low-cost MCUs to simplify and reduce cost in systems.
· Extends functionality by allowing an MCU to handle resolver-to-digital decoding, as well as other software programmable real-time functions, such as additional analog-to-digital converter (ADC) sampling and processing, encoder and hall interfaces, digital signal processing (DSP) front-end, state logic, tasks to assist with functional safety and full control loops.
· Provides complete hardware and consists of a C2000 controlCARD-compatible printed circuit board (PCB) with on-board JTAG emulation for software debug, a resolver interface with filtering, UART and SPI interfaces, four digital-to-analog converter (DAC) outputs for debug and a 15V power supply.
· Includes software and hardware development packages:
o Hardware: Full build of materials, schematics and PCB design files.
· Supports four software project variants running on three different C2000 controlCARDs (all purchased separately): TMDSCNCD28335 (floating-point), TMDSCNCD28035 (fixed-point) or parallel control law accelerator (CLA) and TMDSCNCD28027 (fixed-point).
Pricing and availability
The C2000 MCU Resolver Kit (TMDSRSLVR) is available today for $179 USD. C2000 controlCARDs are available separately starting at $49. The controlSUITE software and documentation are available for download. The C2000 MCUs capable of running the resolver software are available starting from $1.85 USD 1ku SRP (TMS320F280200).
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with ultra-low-power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ safety MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market with TI’s ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
# # #
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world´s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
C2000, Piccolo, MSP, Tiva, Hercules, Code Composer Studio and MotorWare are trademarks and of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.